Apply for this apprenticeship
Software Development Technician Apprentice
- Posted on: 20th September 2021
- Location: Chesterfield S41
- Salary: £4.81 per hour
GBS Apprenticeships are recruiting for a rapidly growing MSP operating from a large office in Chesterfield. They offer an informal, relaxed yet high performance environment where they recognise and reward effort and achievement. The Company prides itself on high levels of strategic engagement with its customers coupled with their internal technical expertise, enabling them to operate their own cloud infrastructure and communications network. They are expanding their team and are seeking enthusiastic, driven and ambitious team members to join in their journey as a Junior DevOps Engineer.
About The Role
The aim of the DevOps Engineer is to improve the Company’s methods of working, reduce the labour input for repetitive tasks, improve the availability of information and improve the integration of the various systems used by the business. The ultimate result will be improved levels of service, reduced man-hours, improved working methods, improved staff and customer experience and ultimately increase profit levels.
You will be responsible for analysing the Company’s technical support tickets to identify trends and potential areas where standardisation and automation can reduce engineer time. The engineer will then be responsible for designing, developing and implementing the automation using the systems in place or via new, alternative systems.
You will also work closely with the DevOps Manager, Operations Manager and Directors to identify areas of integration which would improve the Company’s work processes and improve the level of service offered by the engineering teams. These integrations will then be designed, developed and implemented by the DevOps team.
Wherever possible, the DevOps engineer will work closely with the development teams of the major suppliers to increase knowledge and obtain development assistance for the integrations required by the Company.
The DevOps engineer will design, develop, implement and manage the early warning reporting system to enable the Company to identify potential Technical Support issues before they arise and enable the Technical Teams to carry out any preventative actions.
- Develop critical business systems to improve efficiency where engineering labour time is required.
- Develop and design performance reports to enable account managers to present the Return on Investment achieved from a support contract
- Manage your own workload effectively
- Production of reports, wallboards and data access for teams throughout the company using SQL Reporting Services
- Migration of internal working data to the Microsoft SharePoint 365 platform
- Scripting automation, monitoring and development for end user systems using PowerShell, Batch and .NET Framework
All employees have a duty to recognise and carry out all safeguarding responsibilities within their role and work within the KCSIE2021 document guidelines.
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
- Applications Forms/ CV must be full and up to date – gaps will be investigated at interview
- All references will be taken up and referees asked if there is any reason why the candidate shouldn’t hold a post with substantial access to children/vulnerable adults
- Enclose full Job Description in advert
Salary and Contract Terms
Salary: £4.81 Per Hour
9am till 5:30pm Monday to Friday
The Apprenticeship Standard is Level 3 Software Development Technician
Reference ID: GBSAF046
Job Types: Full-time, Apprenticeship
- Free onsite parking with EV charging points
- Air-conditioned offices with shower facilities
- Career progression with personal development plans
- Training opportunities
- Vitality private healthcare plan
- Sick pay policy
- An active formal and informal social calendar with escape rooms, go-karting and curry evenings being the favourites
- A large social hub to relax and have a coffee or enjoy a game of pool or use the PlayStation
- Hybrid working – remote / customer site / office
- Weekly HIIT sessions provided by The Fitness Truck for those who want to challenge their body as well as their mind
- Regular mental health training programme available to all
- Last but not least, their office dogs!
• Initial remote interview
• Social distancing in place
• Sanitisation, disinfection and cleaning procedures in place with onsite testing
- 5 GCSE (9*-4/A*-C) (or equivalent) including English and maths
- Good standard of practical application of literacy and numeracy
- Basic knowledge or experience of a programming language e.g. .NET (MVC & Core), PowerShell etc / database queries e.g. MS SQL or MySQL / Microsoft SharePoint / API’s
- A good understanding of the Azure suite and how Azure authentication works
You will need to be:
A professional, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual with excellent communication skills. You are organised, adaptable and calm under pressure with a strong desire to continue to develop your skill set whilst working effectively and efficiently alone or as part of a team. Your attention to detail is second to none with strong problem-solving skills. You have the ability to quickly learn new software and systems and research integration processes to create a single integrated system.